One of the oldest Executive residences in the United States, Kentucky’s Old Governor’s Mansion has a rich and diverse history, and stands as a reminder of the growth and history of our state. From its construction as Kentucky’s first Governor’s residence and office of the Governor, through its nearly fifty years as the official residence of our Lieutenant Governors, this building has seen more historic events and has borne witness to more important persons than almost any home in the Commonwealth.
Built in 1797-8 in the Federal style, the home was first occupied by our second governor, James Garrard and his family.
From 1798 until 1914, thirty-five governors and their families lived and entertained here, with James McCreary as the last governor to reside at the mansion. The mansion served as the office of the Governor until the 1872 Annex building was constructed next to the Old State Capitol in downtown Frankfort. For several years even after the Governor’s office relocated to the Old Capitol Annex, the Mansion remained a work space for the governor.
Several important visitors to the Governor’s Mansion include Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, William Jennings Bryan, and Theodore Roosevelt. However, when General Lafayette of France visited Frankfort on his tour of the southern states in 1825, Governor Desha received and met with General Lafayette at the Weisiger Tavern, not the Governor’s Mansion as expected.
Due to the early instability and speculation on whether the capital of Kentucky would remain located in Frankfort, the Governor’s Mansion sometimes suffered from neglect and lack of funding for renovations. While it did receive a modest renovation and new furnishings around 1818, in 1858 a major renovation of the house included enlarging the windows, a new front doorway, and several other touches that brought it up to date with the then popular Greek Revival-style. This renovation, however, was short lived as a major fire in the 1890’s damaged the home and destroyed many of the Governor’s papers and state documents.
Upon the completion of the New State Capitol across the river in 1910, it was decided, finally, to replace this older, disused house with a more substantial residence for the First Family.
This move caused the building to remain vacant, and it continued to deteriorate over the next 30 years, with the exception of a short period of time when the State Highway Patrol used the mansion as headquarters and a dormitory. Governor Simeon Willis saved the building from demolition in 1948 by appropriating money to stabilize the structure. A major renovation on the home was completed in 1956 and the Old Governor’s Mansion then became the official residence of Kentucky’s Lieutenant Governors.
The last Lieutenant Governor to live in the mansion moved out in 2002 to make way for a total and extensive renovation and reconstruction. Upon completion of this project, the first floor formal rooms were painted and decorated in a way that would represent a Kentucky home in the early to mid-19th century.
In 1971, the Old Governor's Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1973, a small garden and patio area were added to the grounds. In 2000, a larger, more formal garden was completed as part of the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History garden project. The garden consists of native Kentucky flowers and plants, as well as a fountain.
Open: Tours - available by appointment only, please contact CarolJ.Mitchell@ky.gov.
Parking: Yes - Convenient parking is available off Clinton Street in the lot adjacent to the Luscher House, directly across from the garden entrance.
Wheelchair Access: Yes
Style of Architecture: Federal style
The Old Governor's Mansion is located at:
420 High Street
Frankfort, KY 40601-2175
Please call the following number for more information: