In 1910, when the Kentucky State Capitol building was complete, few could have predicted that the immense structure would not serve all of the commonwealth's needs for many years to come. It turns out the Capitol offices were almost immediately rearranged and expanded. The Capitol Annex Building completed in 1950, provided the technology and accommodations the commonwealth needed to conclude the 20th century.
The Capitol Annex Building is styled with a graceful limestone facade, brick terrace and balustrades mimicking the Capitol building surrounded by a utilitarian rear exterior of buff masonry. Although the building is somewhat inauspicious at some angles, its importance as part of the evolution of the Capitol campus cannot be denied.