Situated on a prominent western bluff overlooking the State Capitol and Frankfort, the George Franklin Berry Estate was originally called Juniper Hill because of the many red cedar trees on the property. Berry was a prosperous distiller executive with the Frankfort firm of W.A. Gaines and Company, whose wealth is evident in this fine mansion.
Constructed in 1900, the original stone mansion was designed by the prominent Louisville architectural firm of McDonald and Dodd. The structure's design is a notable example of mansions erected between 1865 and 1917 in the Colonial Revival style. Stones used to build the structure at Juniper Hill came from the property and the mansion rests on a full stone cellar blasted from solid rock. The site's most outstanding feature is an elaborate music room built in the Gothic Revival style and designed by notable architect William J. Dodd.
With pipes rising behind an intricately carved oak grill, a massive cathedral organ dominates the north wall of the music room. Two European wood carvers spent two years carving ornamentation for the room. Large bay windows, stained glass and a library balcony once used to seat string ensembles further attest to the room's prominence. Completed in 1912, the music room still remains the mansion's architectural focal point.
The Commonwealth of Kentucky acquired the property in 1957 and it became known as the Berry Hill Estate. It once housed the State Department for Libraries and Archives and has been used for state offices. Now Berry Mansion and its beautiful grounds serve as central Kentucky's premier meeting and special event facility.
The Berry Mansion is located at:
700 Louisville Road
Frankfort, KY 40601-3304
Please call the following phone numbers for more information:
(502) 564-3000 or (502) 564-5500