This house is architecturally notable because of its brick and log construction covered by clapboards. It is rather simple in arrangement - downstairs a hall and three rooms parallel to the hall, each behind the other. Upstairs is similar. The doors are made of yellow poplar and the flooring is wide ash boards. The mantels were modernized in the Victorian era.
The earliest owner of record was Jacob Swigert, a lawyer, Judge of County Court, Clerk of the Court of Appeals of Kentucky from 1825 to 1858. He was an officer of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South for 28 years.
On October 15, 1855, Jacob Swigert and his wife Rebecca sold this property. The purchaser was John H. Hanna, who the next day sold it to Thomas Crittenden.
Thomas Leonidas Crittenden, a lawyer, was the second son of John J. Crittenden. He saw military service in the Mexican War, was Consul to Liverpool, England 1849-1853, was appointed a Brigadier General of the Kentucky State Guard on March 5, 1860, in September 1861 took service in the Federal Army, was promoted to Major General, and served until 1865. On January 18, 1866 he became State Treasurer of Kentucky; resigned this office on November 15, 1867 to become a Colonel in the regular U.S. Army.
On April 11, 1859 Crittenden sold the property to James H. Garrard. Mr. Garrard was a grandson of James Garrard, second governor of Kentucky. In 1849, he was a member of the Kentucky Constitutional Convention, representing Clay, Letcher, and Perry counties. In 1857 he was elected State Treasurer, a position he held for four full terms. He was elected for a fifth term just 12 days before his death in 1865.
At his death the house passed to his wife, Letitia J. Garrard, and at her death to their daughter, Lucy Garrard Stell, then was sold by her on March 1, 1902 to Callaway T. Hoge, wife of Will H. Hoge. Upon the death of Mrs. Hoge in 1941, the house was passed to her children, James F. Hoge and Mary T. Hoge.
For more information, please contact the Division of Real Properties at 564-3000 ext. 222.